Tuesday, May 17, 2011

risk-averse christianity

I am so, so risk-averse. Few aren't. But I'm meeting more and more people everyday who are taking huge risks for God. Selling their houses, moving to other countries, downsizing, long-term missions (here and around the world), adopting a child with severe special needs, starting ministries, planting churches, serving in the inner-city, moving from the 'burbs to the inner-city.

My gosh, I think I even mentioned a while back that for years, JD described himself as risk-averse. The good news is that I think God's doing a tiny work in us and has much more to do. I will not lie. Sometimes I think we've lost our minds. I think about what we might have in store with our little guy and I have thoughts like, 'Be prepared, Heather. This may not be a cake walk.'

Then, almost instantly, I feel reassurance from the Lord. He speaks very clearly to me (of course not audibly) that He's got this. We're just to continue moving forward. 'Do not stop,' He says. 'Continue on this course I have you on.' And then my momentary fear is replaced with joy. Anticipation. Excitement.

Here's a little something about risk-averse Christians. Wow. I don't want to be afraid to respond to what God calls me to. But it's so hard, isn't it? Sometimes I just want to run and hide. But, seriously, who can hide from God? I certainly try -- in my comfortable, American, plush life. And I succeed most of the time.


Alan Hirsch - Are You Stuck In A Rut? from Verge Network on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design By Sour Apple Studio | All Rights Reserved