Friday, December 21, 2012

farewell

Since the world is ending today, I thought I would say farewell.

Okay, perhaps not, but I did read this this morning and wanted to share it.  There is much wisdom and encouragement in these words.  In light of the hype around the end of the world, end of times and the recent tragedy in Connecticut.

For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.  If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me.  Yet what shall I choose?  I do not know!  I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me.  Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ.  Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel.          Philippians 1:21-27

This is so encouraging to me!  Because what Paul's saying is that it's all about living for and with Christ.

Do you ever have those moments when you feel torn between this world and what's to come after this?

I do.

Sometimes I really like it here.  I have much to be grateful for.

Other times, like lately, I've thought over and over again that Jesus needs to come quick because this place is going to hell in a hand basket.

But this passage is saying that even if we look forward to exiting stage left and entering into eternity with Christ because the alternative (staying in this place) frankly sucks sometimes, He has us here for a reason ('...but it is necessary for you that I remain in the body').

And moreover, we have to continue with each other for our progress and joy in the faith.

Y'all, without faith in Christ and our pressing on together, this life isn't worth living.

Those precious parents have been without their children for a week today, y'all.

Unmade (empty) beds.

Lifeless bedrooms.

Toothbrushes left on bathroom counters.

Dirty clothes in hampers.

Toys on the floor.

I just cannot imagine.

I don't know if I'd touch a thing.

So sometimes I'd rather just flee this place and not face the horror, sin, pain, and wretchedness.

But we're called to.  We're required to so that others can see Christ in us.

My good friend, Nicole, wrote a great post that, to me, should encourage all parents/grandparents, Christian or not, when you're trying to make sense of what happened at Sandy Hook.

We fall to our knees when things like this happen and we cry out to God, but what about the other 364 days of the year?  I am no saint, please know this.  But, more than anything, I want my children to know God.

Our world depends on adults taking the time to teach our children about God and how much He loves them!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design By Sour Apple Studio | All Rights Reserved